Literary Criticism

This site contains my work during the course of English 300 at Montana State University-Bozeman in the Autumn of 2004.

Name:

I am a senior at Montana State University working for a degree in history with a teaching option and also a minor in English. Currently I am working with the students at Bridger Alternative here in town and I am loving every minute of it. I can't wait to get out into the field and teach.

Friday, September 24, 2004

The Text that Consoles Me, or rather, the Song that Consoles Me

The song that consoles me is by one of the greatest bands. This of course is none other than Aerosmith!!! Their song Dream On is one of the most soulful and emotionally fulfilling songs as it describes getting older, all the mistakes one makes, and yet the possibilites of one's dreams coming true. When I hear this song on the radio, I turn it up; when I have the CD in my car, it's on repeat. Truly it is one of the greatest songs ever. I have on the Album: Aerosmith's Greatest Hits but I'm sure the song can be found on others. The lyrics are as follows:
Everytime that I look in the mirror
All these lines in my face gettin' clearer
The past is gone
It went by like dust to dawn
Isn't that the way
Everybody's got their dues in life to pay
I know what nobody knows
Where it comes and where it goes
I know it's everybody's sin
You got to lose to know how to win
Half my life is in books' written pages
Live and learn from fools and from sages
You know it's true
All the things come back to you
Sing with me, sing for the years
Sing for the laughter, sing for the tears
Sing with me, if it's just for today
Maybe tomorrow the good Lord will take you away
(x2)
Dream on, dream on
Dream yourself a dream come true
Dream on, dream on
Dream yourself a dream come true
Dream on, dream on, dream on...
Sing with me, sing for the years
Sing for the laughter and sing for the tears
Sing with me, if it's just for today
Maybe tomorrow the good Lord will take you away

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home