Literary Criticism

This site contains my work during the course of English 300 at Montana State University-Bozeman in the Autumn of 2004.

Name:

I am a senior at Montana State University working for a degree in history with a teaching option and also a minor in English. Currently I am working with the students at Bridger Alternative here in town and I am loving every minute of it. I can't wait to get out into the field and teach.

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

From Walter Benjamin HIMSELF!

"The tradition of the oppressed teaches us that the 'state of emergency' in which we live is not the exception but the rule. We must attain to a conception of history that is in keeping with this insight. Then we shall clearly that it is our task to bring about a real state of emergency, and this will improve our position in our struggle against Fascism. One reason why Fascism has a chance is that in the name of progress its opponents treat it as a historical norm. The current amazement is that the things we are experiencing are 'still' possible in the twentieth century is not philosophical. This amazement is not the beginning of knowledge--unless it is the knowledge that the view of history which gives rise to it is untenable."
--Walter Benjamin, "Theses on the Philosophy of History," (Spring 1940) trans. Harry Zohn
This quote by my literary personality has impressed the real me in the sense that I am a History major and that I completely agree with his theses. History needs to be learned by the masses in order for our past mistakes to not be repeated. We need to learn from our history, otherwise it is a repetitive, vicious cycle that would not exist if we only took heed. History is extremely important, and this is why I look forward to teaching it and using literature to demonstrate the effects it had on society. (This is why I have the English minor.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home